LITTLE ROCK — Nineteen public schools from throughout the state were recently designated as 2011 Exemplary Schools by the Arkansas Department of Education.
Exemplary schools are those demonstrating high student academic performance, schools with large populations of at-risk students with high academic performance, schools with high student academic progress, and schools with high populations of at risk-students with high academic progress. The designation was granted as a result of Arkansas’s flexibility request from the Elementary and Secondary Education Act through the U.S. Department of Education.
To determine exemplary schools, three-years of Arkansas Benchmark and End of Course Exam results were used to calculate a three-year average percentage of students scoring proficient and advanced for math and literacy combined for 2009 through 2011.
“The work of these students and the educators at these schools merit the distinction of being exemplary schools,” Commissioner of Education Dr. Tom Kimbrell said. “The students have proven they are on track to being college, career and future ready by the time they graduate high school.”
In addition to recognition, exemplary schools may be provided more autonomy regarding state and federal funds, as well as be exempt from certain annual plans and monitoring.
Representatives from exemplary schools will also be invited to share strategies and interventions with other schools.
High Performance Exemplary Schools by District
- Pea Ridge Middle School in the Pea Ridge School District
- Valley Springs Middle School in the Valley Springs School District
- Academy of Technology and the Academy of Service and Technology in the Vilonia School District
- Park Magnet School in the Hot Springs School District
- Mount Pleasant Elementary School in the Melbourne School District
- Arnold Drive Elementary School in the Pulaski County Special School District
- Haas Hall Academy Charter School
High Performance High TAGG Exemplary Schools by District
- Norfork Elementary School in the Norfork School District
- Tuckerman Elementary School in the Jackson County School District
- Tuckerman High School in the Jackson County School District
- Kingston Elementary School in the Jasper School District
- KIPP Delta College Prep High School
- Marshall High School in the Searcy County School District
High Progress Exemplary Schools by District
- Van Cove Elementary School in the Cossatot School District
- Clinton Junior High School in the Clinton School District
High Progress High TAGG Exemplary Schools by District
- Luxora Elementary School in the South Mississippi County School District
- West Elementary School in the Osceola School District
- Cotton Plant Elementary School in the Augusta School District
To maintain exemplary designation, these schools must meet their math and literacy annual measurable objectives (AMOs) for the All Students group, the Targeted Achievement Gap Group (TAGG), all ESEA subgroups that have a minimum of 25 students and the graduation rate AMOs for the All Students group, Targeted Achievement Gap Group, and all ESEA subgroups that have a minimum of 25 students.