ADE condemns statement by Midland school board member

The Arkansas Department of Education has prepared a statement regarding the Facebook posting of Midland School Board member Clint McCance:

The Arkansas Department of Education strongly condemns remarks or attitudes of this kind and is dismayed to see that a school board official would post something of this insensitive nature on a public forum like Facebook. Because Mr. McCance is an elected official, the department has no means of dealing with him directly. However, the department does have staff who investigate matters of bullying in schools and we will monitor and quickly respond to any bullying of students that may occur because of this, as we have with other civil rights issues in the past.

Posted by JJT.

23 Responses to “ADE condemns statement by Midland school board member”

1.   Andrew Says:

This is not good enough. You guys need to take stronger action or start putting pressure on the people who can. This is disgusting, and that fact that the school and the school board seem to be sweeping this under the rug is pretty scary. The local newspaper hasn’t even reported on it. DO SOMETHING.

2.   Jessica Says:

Is his cleaning business still going to be permitted to operate at the school?

3.   Danny Says:

However toothless this action is, I’m glad you are at least paying it lip service. It’s great that you people believe someone who has gone on record as stating that gays, including gay children, should all kill themselves, is a person who is capable of making decisions that affect children. Including the gay ones.

Your state is backwards.

4.   Rob Says:

Oooh, what a harsh response from the Arkansas Department of Education..I’m sure this jackass is really feeling the sting.

5.   Lenny Marchese Says:

This is not good enough.

6.   B. Rodriguez Says:

So much for “Love thy neighbor” and “let him who is without sin cast the first stone.” If Jesus accepted and spent his time with the outcasts of society, why is this Christian man so eager to have homosexuals commit suicide? Is he so completely free of sin that he can judge others as if he was Jesus himself? I find that extremely repulsive, to see him condemn others as if he was the Lord himself.

7.   EndBigotry Says:

I’m glad to see the ADE is as concerned about this as I am. I hope that it will do everything it can to keep McCance’s hateful opinions about children out of Arkansas schools.

8.   arty Says:

Cowards… All of you.

9.   Robert Carr Says:

I applaud the Arkansas DoE on their effort in this matter. Hopefully, someone at the local level can raise the issue with his constituents.

10.   Shawn Wheeler Says:

To whom it may concern,

I am strongly concerned by the remarks posted on facebook by a member of your school board, and I hope that he resigns quickly. However, it has also come to my attention that Mr. McCance’s cleaning company is also being hired to do the school’s janitorial work.

While you may not have the ability to remove Mr. McCance from his position on the school board, I do believe that it is well within your power to stop using his company. If Mr. McCance’s pocketbook is effected by his actions, it might actually show him that his hateful attitude is not accepted.

I am happy to see that you’ve put out this statement, and I believe it to be a good first step in the proper direction, however there is more that can be done.

Thank you for reading this reply, and I hope you take it’s words into consideration.

-Shawn Wheeler

11.   JoeThreeler Says:

Just because someone’s an elected official doesn’t mean that can’t be removed from office, and in this instance, this person most certain should be. Each assault, or act of bullying, and yes, even suicide that may result from his hateful words is just more blood on his hands. This man has no right to act as though he were a Christian. There is no “love thy neighbor” in this man’s heart; this man is as far removed from that message of love as a man can be! I don’t wish harm on him though, I hope one day, a gay person helps him, or one of his kids comes out, and he learns that his ignorance is an outdated dogma, and that no matter what you believe in regard to the supernatural, here on Earth, the most righteous thing people can be is good to eachother.

12.   coolhandsarrah Says:

He must resign. It is clear he doesn’t care for children at all, therefore has no business being involved in their education, never mind being hateful, homophobic, prejudiced, intolerant and illiterate.

13.   Lee Harold Says:

That’s an incredibly worthless response. Claiming there’s no support for his comments but also saying there can be no sort of reprimand is absolutely the clearest example of just trying to cover bases until everything blows over. Doesn’t his company also handle janitorial duties at the school? Stop using them. Make it clear this behavior won’t be tolerated. That or deal with constant attention until actual action is taken.

14.   Seth Says:

The facebook post is an instance of bullying.

Are your staff investigating it?

15.   adam Says:

I normally do not place comments on news, but I’m breaking my habit to comment on this. I expect a better understanding on the complexities of life from someone on the school board than someone who thinks that someone different than them deserves not only death but suicide? Look I can understand that religious beliefs are very powerful and I have them too, but to think that someone should die whether or not it’s a sin seems to be the most unchristian thought process I can think of.

16.   Dr Geoffrey Parkes Says:

Dear Department Staff
    Thank you for your statement regarding this. It is important that you have taken such a stance against this language.
    I note with some concern however that bullying of students must occur before any action takes place. This is a reactive process, depending on the occurrence of abuse, rather than a proactive stance that prevents the abuse in the first place.
    Could you please advise on what steps you are taking to prevent such abuse?
    Kind regards
    Dr Geoffrey Parkes
    Toowoomba, Australia

17.   Adam Says:

“Because Mr. McCance is an elected official, the department has no means of dealing with him directly.”

Surely you can cancel the contracts his business has with the School Board, send a message that you won’t tolerate this kind of vitriol around your education system in any way. More needs to be done – you can’t have people with these kind of transgressive, hateful opinions presiding over the education of the next generation of teachers, doctors and counselors.

18.   Santeri Says:

Oh, come on. You can do a lot better than this. A member of the school board pretty much told gay kids to kill themselves. How can someone like this be allowed to ever work with children?

19.   Keaton James Purkapile Says:

Not good enough.

As a member of a school board, his duty is to the wellbeing of all students under his districts purvue. This man is VIOLENTLY prejudiced against a portion of his student body by HIS OWN ADMISSION, his is completely unfit for the position he holds and MUST be removed by whatever means necessary.

This story don’t end here, not by a longshot. McCance deserves nothing less than sacking a public shaming for his shameless bigotry.

20.   Ryan Says:

The acknowledgement is appreciated, but this is a situation where you need a ltitle bark with your bite. This Department of Education employee clearly has deeply-seated, perverted beliefs that a little slap on the wrist will not fix. Furthermore, he has made his opinions known. Simply having him stop posting his outdated, homophobic opinions in a public forum does not mean that he no longer has them, and the fact of the matter is that people with such extreme views should not be involved in the education process of today’s youth.

21.   floyd alsup Says:

I say fire his cleaning company. By the way, isn’t it a conflict of interest to have a board member also being payed to clean the school? Seems so to me. He probably bullied them into hiring his company. and, seriously…”therselves”?..

22.   Jared Kline Says:

Joe McCance has, as has been proven, engaged in cyberbullying. Will no action be taken against him for this?

If not, why should we expect you to handle other types of bullying?

23.   Skip Adams Says:

This is simply NOT good enough in any way, shape, or form. Not only has he made public knowledge of the fact that he has deeply rooted hate for a portion of the country’s schools’ population by openly admitting he will never wear purple until they ALL kill themselves, he also admitted that if any of his children ever came out, he would run them off and disown them completely. Then he claims to be a Christian on top of that?! Wow. This man has no business dealing with the education of future generations, and the school should have nothing further to do with him OR his cleaning business. Stating that you strongly condemn his remarks is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

You have all the power in the world do deal with him, and you’re just too lazy to do it. It is repulsive and cowardly to say such things about innocent children who didn’t choose their lifestyles or choose to be born as they are, and it is equally so for you to not directly deal with his ignorance and stupidity. Do we really want our children living in a world where hatred and intolerance is being spread through the schools, not only by the bullies in their classes, but also by the staff or school board? I most certainly don’t. Get off your duffs and do something about it.